MPL Tree Consultancy Ltd
MPL Tree Consultancy
Dip Arb L4 (ABC), TechArborA Lantra Accredited Professional Tree Inspector
- NVQ L2 Arboriculture
- ISA Certified Tree Worker
- NEBS Management L3
- QCF L4 Diploma Arboriculture
- Over 20 Years Experience
Our aim is to provide efficient, professional, independent and impartial service. Since 1996 Matt has built a pragmatic approach to tree management which has developed through practical hands on experience and in an advisory capacity. As a member of the Arboricultural Association and the Consulting Arborist Society, Matt is bound by their Code of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct. You can find Matt on the CAS directory of professional members.
Apprentice Tree Surgeon
Became NPTC qualified
NVQ L2 Arboriculture
Lead climber of a large contracting company
The International Society of Arboriculture UK and Ireland Chapter, Certified Tree Worker
NEBS Management Certificate in Management
QCF L4 Diploma Arboriculture
Accredited Professional Tree Inspector, Lantra Awards
Director of MPL Tree Consultancy Ltd
Trees, Development and the Planning Process
Gaining independent expert advice on your trees at the beginning of the planning process can often save valuable time, money and reduce stress.
We can offer advice throughout the development process in accordance with British Standards 5837: 2012 ‘Trees in Relation to Design, Demolition and Construction’.
- A Tree Survey
- A Tree Constraints Plan
- Tree Protection Plan
- Arboricultural Impact Assessment
- Tree Protection Specification
- Post Planning Approval – Condition Discharge
- Arboricultural Method Statement
- Arboricultural Monitoring Programme
Tree Condition Assessments
- Tree condition assessments can help you to assess the health and condition of your trees. We can help form a management plan, which will aid early detection of defects in your trees and support you in developing a cost effective tree management plan.
- We have experience working with landowners and local authorities to develop tree condition assessments.
- The method of Visual Tree Assessment (VTA) used by us is internationally recognised, as we wish to avoid any invasive inspection methods unless absolutely necessary.
- Preliminary Inspection: Site visit and VTA from ground level, this can help to identify any defects and provide management advice. Often this is all that is required.
- Detailed Inspection: Where a defect(s) has been Identified, it may be necessary to carry out a detailed investigation to measure the extent of the defect or gain a closer look. This can include an aerial inspection, using internal decay detection equipment or using specialist equipment (such as an airspade) to gain a closer look at the buttress roots and root collar.
- Common sense risk management of trees, guidance on trees and public safety in the UK for owners, managers and advisers. Provided by the National Tree Safety Group can be downloaded here
Tree Preservation Orders and Designated
- We are able to help with the preparation of applications for tree works to be carried out on trees in Conservation Areas (CA) or trees that are subject to a Tree Preservation Order (TPO)
- If you are planning a build and require support before and/or during the construction phase, we are able to
- a) Provide tree surveys and Arboricultural Impact Assessments (AIA) to supplement any planning applications where trees may be affected by development
- b) Provide guidance and plans so that any planning consent that contains conditions in relation to trees, is carried out appropriately according to the Local Planning Authority (LPA)
Insurance Claims and Mortgage Reports
- We work with insurers, tree owners and estate agents to assess the likelihood of vegetation related subsidence occurring
- We provide tree reports and management plans for vegetation highlighted as a potential risk to a property.
- We also work with insurers, tree owners and local authorities providing advice and assistance where trees and vegetation has been implicated in direct or in-direct (subsidence) damage to properties.
Tree Planting Design
We have experience working with individual clients and local authorities to provide advice based on:
- the most suitable species for the environment
- how much space is available along with who it will be used by and how it will be used
- the eventual size and shape of the tree
- a full aftercare programme including any future maintenance and management issues.
Looking After Your Trees
- Ancient and veteran trees have characteristics, achieved by age or condition, which are significantly important to habitat, biodiversity and, often have cultural importance to a local or national area. We can provide you with guidance on how to care for and protect these trees, as well as any that have the potential to become future veterans.
- We can support with putting the visual amenity value of a tree in monetary terms using the Capital Asset Value for Amenity Trees (CAVAT) or the Helliwell system. This is useful in assisting local authorities and landowners when determining how important a tree is.
- If you have a tree, which reaches the required standard, we could add it to the Ancient Tree Inventory
Who and How we can Help
Tree inspections for tree health
Advice on tree condition and ways it can be managed
Homebuyers Mortgage Report to assess whether / how a tree could affect a property
Support with planning applications for development on your property
Support applications for tree works in Conservation Areas or on trees subject to Tree Preservation Orders
Planner and Developers
Provide supporting documentation to accompany planning applications
Provide information for the Local Planning Authority to evidence conditions of planning
Design of tree planting / management plans
Carry out tree condition surveys in public spaces and adjacent to highways
Design of tree planting / management plans
Carry out large or small tree surveys